In the name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
On September 11th, 2016 our old Islamic Center was set on fire and burned down by an Islamophobic arsonist. The arsonist was caught soon after and has since been sentenced to 30 years in prison. Because of the extent of the damage, it was not feasible for us to repair the building. For 7 months, we prayed in a small building on the back of the property with no bathrooms and limited space for activities. Alhamdulillah, in February 2017, after much effort we were able to obtain our current property. This property is much bigger than anything we had ever imagined buying. There are four buildings. Some of the highlights of our new facilities include:
- The main building is 17,000 square feet, with a huge prayer hall, two stories and around 15 large class rooms.
- A 7,700 square foot school building with around 15 large class rooms.
- A 14,000 square foot Gymnasium with an in-door basketball court, locker room, and game room
- A full sized football field with bleachers, scoreboard, goal posts, and a press/coaches box.
- An out door basketball court/tennis court and play ground.
Subhanallah, it's amazing how Allah gave us something much better out of our apparent misfortune.
Allah SWT says in the Qur'an:
فَإِنَّ مَعَ الْعُسْرِ يُسْرًا إِنَّ مَعَ الْعُسْرِ يُسْرًا
"For indeed, with hardship [will be] ease. Indeed, with hardship [will be] ease."